Monday, May 10, 2010

Review: The Book of Negroes


It feels like it's been a long, long time since I have reviewed a work of fiction on my blog - and even longer since I've reviewed one positively. In a dramatic turn of character, I have found myself much more into non-fiction and chic lit (the latter of which which I never usually review.) Thanks to Lawrence Hill's fantastic novel The Book of Negroes, however, I think I may have just re-kindled the old flame with my first literary love.

The Book of Negroes sat on my shelf for a little over a year before I finally decided to pick it up. It's one of those novels that has generated a lot of buzz. I was really excited to read it, but then, well, life happened and time slipped through my fingers like a slippery fish.

The novel tells of an African woman, Aminata Diallo, who is taken from her village as a child and sold into slavery. Thanks to her intelligence and perseverance, she is able to win back her freedom - but not without encountering countless hurdles and heartbreaks along the way. The Book of Negroes is entertaining in the 19th century novel way - engaging, but not destructively addictive like so many of the books I've been devouring lately. It's like the difference between malt sweetened carob chips and M&Ms: not quite as sweet to taste, but still hits the spot the without inducing a nasty sugar hangover.

This is the first time in a long time I have genuinely cared about a character in a novel, and it feels great. The Book of Negroes is something I will think of often, and recommend to many people. Including you - go to the library and check it out as soon as possible!

No comments: