Monday, May 3, 2010

Misguided Mallards

Every year in early spring, this adorable couple takes up residence in my parents' pool. They drove Nan right batty when she was alive. The poor things would glide down gracefully from the sky, and she'd be after them with a broom before they could say "quack." Still, they persisted, and have returned every year without fail for the better part of a decade.

The ducks have been on my mind lately because the pool is being opened for the summer this week, forcing them to relocate. For obvious reasons, the chlorine seems to turn them off. I've often wondered where they go, and why they haven't caught on to the fact that the pool cannot serve as a long term home. Surely these (apparently monogamous?) birds would be looking for something a little more permanent. 

I try not to picture the ducks arriving for the first time after the pool has been opened to find their life giving, swamp-like water has been replaced by what must to them seem like poisonous liquid. Having grown quite fond of these birds, it breaks my heart to force them out like that. I just hope they don't take it as a personal rejection. 

No comments: