Sunday, May 16, 2010

One Eighty


Last week, something happened to yours truly that sparked a momentous life change. You see, since I was about sixteen, I have been ADDICTED to Tim Horton's coffee. Not the stuff that you can buy in the big red tin and make at home. I mean the real brew that you get when you order in the restaurant itself.

Hence I was thrilled to see that there is a Tim Horton's located a handy five minute walk from our new place in Toronto, and have been frequenting this fine establishment for the past few weeks. The other day I didn't have any change on me, so I brought my Mastercard instead. (Tim Horton's only accepts cash or Mastercard. Yeah. Figure that one out.) Sleepy and caffeine-deprived, I stumbled up to the cash and ordered my large black with Splenda on the side. Just as I was about to pick up my cup from the counter, I here:

"Excuse me - your card was declined."

"What?"

"Declined, your card was declined."

"Oh, well, can you try it again?"

She tried again, and again it was declined. I briefly considered asking if I could have the coffee for free. Lord knows I've given them enough business over the past decade to count for three normal people. The idea was discarded as quickly as it was conceived, however, as I remembered that there is a Starbucks only about a three minute walk from Tim's, where my debit card would gladly be accepted.

Don't get me wrong - I have always been a huge fan of Starbucks too. It's just that usually when I go there I'll order some sort of speciality drink. (Tall sugar free vanilla soy latte is my fav.) I had tried the plain coffee in the past, but its strong flavour never really appealed to me. At 8:30 in the morning, however, I all I was craving was a plain old coffee. 

I asked the friendly, animated young man behind the counter for a tall cup of their mildest brew, and handed him my debit card.

"No need for that," he said with a smile. "One of our lovely customers would like to buy you a coffee today."

"Oh, that's nice, who?" I said, looking around.

"They wish to remain anonymous."

"Ok, tell them I said thank you."

Not wanting to remove myself from the good vibes right away, I went out to the patio, pulled out a book, and sipped my (really quite good) cup of coffee. It was one of the nicest half hours I've spent in a long time. 

I've returned to Starbucks to engage in the same ritual for the past four days. Unfortunately, my secret admirer has not been there - or at least has not offered to buy me any more coffees. Either way, I think the whole experience was a sign of good things to come, and why mess with something that seems to bring such good vibes/luck? Plus, the coffee itself is kind of beginning to grow on me...

No comments: