Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Review: Something Blue


Yes, it's true that I pretended not to like Something Borrowed.  But you know I secretly love candy coated chick lit that enables wistful (almost always) female readers to live their fantasy lives vicariously through glamourous protagonists.  Under the guise of popping into Starbucks for a tall latte, I somehow managed to sneak over to the Chapters side, where I simply could not resist picking up Something Blue, the sequel to Something Borrowed, also by Emily Giffin.

Many of Something Borrowed's characters appear in Something Blue, but the novel is narrated by Darcy, ex-best friend of Rachel, the central character in the first novel.  Told from Darcy's perspective, readers are initially offered a version of the former novel's plot (i.e. Rachel sleeping with Darcy's fiancee and Darcy's own affair and consequent pregnancy).  The story then moves to focus on how Darcy manages to find happiness after losing everything.  The first half of the novel (well, the whole thing actually) is more than a little predictable, but in a comforting, enjoyable way.  

If anything I probably enjoyed Something Blue more than its predecessor, largely due to the fact that I prefer Darcy to Rachel (I know you're supposed to like Rachel more, but she is SUCH an annoying little goodie two shoes!!!).  I am nowhere near as hip and popular as Darcy, but feel a certain connection to her rampant materialism and superficiality.  Sometimes I only wish I could be as actively beauty conscious as Darcy is at the beginning of the novel.  I love looking at beautiful people, and even aspire to be one myself. Unfortunately the bare minimum is usually all I'm capable of in the morning (yeah, I'm not a morning person at all).

Bottom line:  This novel is incredibly addictive, and when I wasn't reading it I wished I was.  It's obviously brain candy, but the story itself is heartwarming, and offers a welcome escape from the harsh realities of the world.  Read it.  You won't regret it.  

No comments: