Sunday, March 8, 2009

Why I Love Lost In Translation

Lost In Translation has been one of my favourite movies since it was released in 2003, but only recently have I been able to relate to it on a personal level.  I put it on today because I was in need of some comfort, and found that what I used to find comforting about the movie (the witty dialogue, likable characters, beautiful shots of Japan, Scarlett, etc...) is now accompanied by an almost unbearable sense familiarity.  No, I'm not lusting after my aging film star friend.  And no, Steve is not working as a professional photographer and allowing me to accompany him on business trips to exotic locations (I wish).  

But the movie captures perfectly the anxiety brought on by not knowing what's next.  As a student, there was always something concrete to work toward:  a paper, presentation, or exam, and ultimately a degree.  Now, stuck between university and a career that is in any way related to what I studied, it often does seem like everyone around me is speaking Japanese.  I feel like my skills could be of some small use to the world, but have no way of getting my message across.  The transition from studenthood to gainfully employed adulthood really is like learning to speak another language - the language of pseudo-confidence, uncompromising facts, and deeply entrenched opinions.  By contrast, students are taught to question everything and seek out what interests them.  In the work world, no one gives a rat's ass what interests you; there's work to be done and you'd better damn well do it quickly and accurately.  Like Charlotte in the movie, I feel like I'm still trying to figure out what sort of career would interest me, but anything I can think of seems so impractical and/or unlikely.  

Popular opinion dictates that commitment anxiety is reserved for relationships and marriage; yet getting married was easy for me compared to this.  Fear of failing combined with fear of wasting my life away never trying because of my fear of failing is immobilizing.  Sigh... great movies can be so self-illuminating.

By the way, day one of the detox was a semi-success.  I probably snacked on fruit a little more than you're supposed to, but hey, it's fruit.

No comments: