Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Review: Studio 330

Over the past year and a half or so, yoga has become a huge part of my life.  I *try* to practice every day, and when I'm not reading, writing, eating, or at work, I'm usually doing yoga.  Recently one of the best instructors from my usual studio, Dallas, left to open her own yoga space called Studio 330.  Partly because I was curious, and partly because I missed Dallas' Sunday evening peace class so much that my sleep patterns were severely affected, I decided to purchase a week trial at the new studio. 

The first thing I noticed about Studio 330 was how beautiful it is.  The building is typical of those in downtown Kingston - classically charming with high ceilings and plenty of natural light.  The walls are painted a deep, earthy shade of orange, except for one focal wall of gorgeous exposed limestone.  The floors are old-style hardwood, and creek underfoot in an aesthetically pleasing way.  Candles flicker throughout the space, producing a calming, peaceful aura.  The studio's atmosphere is especially pleasing at night when lit by only the candles and several dim lamps.  Studio 330 is also equipped with showers and a cozy sitting room in which yogis can store their belongings and socialize before classes.  The instructors are extremely friendly and approachable.  It's clear that they make an effort to get to know their students and call them by name, which makes for a very welcoming, comfortable environment.

Alas I am incurably sensitive to cold, and one of the things I love most about practicing yoga is the opportunity to spend an hour and a half in a 102 degree F room.  Sadly, Studio 330 does not offer hot yoga, and I was even a little cold during Sunday's class.  This was not helped by the fact that the door to outside is in the actual studio itself (there's not really a lobby area) which means every time someone opens the door, cold air gusts in.  Granted, I did pick one of the coldest weeks of the year to purchase my trial.

Overall, however, my experiences at Studio 330 have been very positive.  I would certainly recommend it to anyone, particularly people (and I know there are a lot of you out there) who are as sensitive to the heat as I am to the cold. 

No comments: