Thursday, July 16, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb

When I walked into Loblaws this morning I was greeted by a big display of Ontario strawberries.  I had hitherto been deprived of local berries all season (I looked, but could never find them - I heard it was a bad season, but maybe this year's were simply late bloomers).  Although I had just finished breakfast, I found myself instantly hungry again and piled three quarts into my basket.  Having recently discovered a small patch of rhubarb in our backyard, I decided to combine my finds and make a strawberry rhubarb pie.

Beautiful Ontario strawberries...


Lately I find myself obsessed with veganism.  I haven't the discipline to become one myself, but love the idea and have been experimenting with vegan recipes quite a bit.  Behold my first vegan pie crust, taken from the Candle Cafe cookbook.  It's a healthier alternative to the butter crust I usually make, and as expected did not taste quite as good.  The crust was more than passable, however, and despite behaving rather finicky while being rolled out, turned out ok in the end.


The finished product...





No comments: