Sunday, March 21, 2010

To get away from it all...

Well, I'm back. Jamaica was amazing. Every single day was 28 degrees and sunny, and the wedding was absolutely beautiful. I really wasn't ready to come back, but alas dragged myself kicking and screaming onto the plane to return to my lonely life in the land of ice and snow. (I'm told the weather was beautiful here last week, but it was snowing when I woke up this morning and it totally ruined my day).

This was my first experience at an all inclusive Caribbean resort, and I must say I've never felt more relaxed in my life. I gather that the main purpose of these places is to promote relaxation, and wow, did our resort (Sandals Whitehouse) ever succeed at that! It's amazing how easy it is to forget all about your problems when your days consist of lying on the beach reading, water skiing, sailing, etc while surrounded by dozens of open bars and restaurants you can saunter in and out of without paying. 

The poverty found just outside the resort was more than a little troublesome. The juxtaposition seemed almost too perfect in its ability to point out the differences between my life and those of the rural Jamaicans. I'm always going on (half jokingly) about being poor, but really I have no idea what I'm talking about. I am glad, however, that I had a chance to briefly experience that side of Jamaica. It's good to understand the big picture, I think, even if it is your vacation.

The best part of the trip for me: Getting to spend a full week with my dear husband. We have been married almost four years and together for eight. It's hard not seeing him every day.

I took a lot of pictures on the trip, wedding and otherwise. Here are some highlights.






No comments: