Saturday, October 17, 2009

Ghoul Bless Us, Everyone



I've got to admit, folks, I've always found Hallowe'en to be a bit of a humbug.  Well, for the last eleven years anyway.  I understand why most people consider it to be fun, but alas I am not most people.  

It all started on the Hallowe'en when I was fifteen, and came home from school to find my beloved dog Clyde lying dead on the kitchen floor.  He was only three years old, and his death came as a huge shock.  I was so upset I had to cancel the plans I'd made for later that evening, and for the last decade have done my best to try and forget about Hallowe'en whenever the season draws nigh.  It doesn't help that the few times I've attempted to join in on the festivities have gone badly - mainly due to extreme over-consumption of alcohol and/or being abandoned in strange places where I knew next to no one.

Last year our regular tradition (i.e. drinking two bottles of cheap wine and watching The Shining) was thwarted by Steve's having to work.  Instead, I drank two bottles of semi-expensive wine with my mom and drunkenly handed out candy to neighbourhood children. 

The reason I'm rambling on about Hallowe'en two weeks before the actual day is because I took a trip out to the Battersea Pumpkin Festival this afternoon - a place where it is literally impossible to forget that the big day is right around the corner.  Many of the children, adults, and animals came dressed in costumes to participate in such events as pumpkin carving and wagon riding.  It was actually...dare I say it...kind of fun!  I enjoy the role of photographer, mingling around with a purpose taking pictures of cute things!

Hmmmm...maybe I can get in to this whole Hallowe'en business after all...

No comments: