Monday, June 8, 2009

Full Fat Joy



Several days ago I was inspired by this post at Slow Like Honey (also the source of the above photo) to face up to the fact that I simply do not enjoy fat free yogurt.  Yes, I have been buying and eating it for longer than I care to admit.  Yes, it is technically an ideal mid-morning or after work snack.  But the fact of the matter is, it just tastes bad.  I mean, it's really not good.  Who cares if it's only 35 calories per serving?  You may as well be eating sweet 'n low infused air.  It's hard to believe I lived the past 25 years of my life without experiencing the taste explosion that is full fat yogurt...until yesterday.  Although I haven't yet graduated to the Oikos brand Amanda mentions, I thoroughly enjoyed some Danone Creamy Vanilla.  And whadya know?  I can now honestly call myself a yogurt fan. 

On that note, here's a list of other foods I will not, from this day forth, pretend to like:

- Boneless skinless chicken breasts - convenient, yes, but they're so easy to overcook usually end up tough and tasteless.

- Splenda - I have it in my coffee every morning, but am increasingly bothered by the fizzing noise it makes when it hits the liquid.  Plus, it's nearly impossible to achieve anything resembling the desired level of sweetness (usually the coffee ends up way too sweet).

- Chocolate ice cream - I love chocolate.  I love ice cream.  I love little bits of chocolate in ice cream.  But not chocolate ice cream.  Figure that one out. 

- Potatoes - they're just sooooo filling, not to mention tasteless unless you immerse them in fatty and/or salty and/or sugary substances.  Even then, they're still kind of tasteless.

 - Omlettes - eggs are one of my favourite foods.  But only when they're all runny in the middle and you can dip buttered toast in them.  Not six of them fully cooked mushed together with other highly caloric breakfast foods.  I'm sorry, but that's just disgusting.

 - The vast majority of salad dressings - just give me some plain old aged balsamic.  Unless it's that tasty dressing on the house salad at Lotus Heart Blossoms.

Wow...I feel so liberated.

No comments: