Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Review: 500 Days of Summer

I feel like all I've been doing for the past month is traveling - although not necessarily for the most exciting reasons.  I just got back from yet another job interview and am extremely tired.  The good thing about husband-less travel is I get a chance to see chick movies that don't come to Kingston.  I'd been wanting to see 500 Days of Summer since it came out in July.  Why it didn't come to Kingston is beyond me, since given its relentless hype it doesn't exactly appear to be small budget film.  

The tagline for 500 Days of Summer is: "Boy meets girl.  Boy falls in love.  Girl doesn't".  That pretty much sums up the plot, yet it could never be called a spoiler since audiences are told about five minutes into the movie that things don't work out between (the two main characters) Summer and Tom.  The story jumps around throughout the movie, providing an unconventional structure that is quite refreshing, actually.  I enjoyed how this movie self-consciously tries and fails to be a true-to-form "romantic comedy", a genre that seems to have fallen out of style lately.  It's quirky, engaging, and visually beautiful - all in all a very fulfilling movie experience.  I have a huge girl crush on Zooey Deschanel, the actress who plays Summer.  I love her dark hair and her kind of funny looking but ultimately pretty eyes.  She and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who plays Tom, are both excellent in their roles, and have great on-screen chemistry despite the fact that their relationship serves as an extremely realistic example of modern love.

This movie didn't blow me away or anything, but I'll probably end up buying it to add to my watch-when-sick-or-in-need-of-comfort collection.  Sigh...I'd love to write more but my brain has officially shut down for the night...

No comments: