Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Word On Books


You may have noticed that the "Currently Reading" section of Magic Lantern is not a reliable indicator of what I am, in fact, currently reading.  You also may have noticed that many titles appear and disappear from "Currently Reading" without any sign of reviews.  The thing is, I spent five glorious years of my life writing about books.  Now that those years are gone for good, coming up with even a semi-serious critique of a novel feels is almost too bitter-sweet to bear.  My first year "out in the real world" was by far the worst of my life, and it's taken me nearly another full year to recover from it.  This blog (along with regular yoga practice and a fabulous network of family members, friends, and co-workers) has been a key component of my recovery.  It allows me explore my interests and recognize all the beautiful things around me; for a long time it seemed counter-productive to draw attention to something that I love dearly but is no longer part of my life "professionally" speaking.

Lately, however, I've been feeling the urge to start writing more about the books I read.  Don't worry, I won't bore you to death with anything that resembles scholarly jargon; I will try to keep things entertaining by reviewing current books, and may even dabble into non-fiction every once in a while.  I therefore vow to review one book per week for the next month.  I'm telling you all this because I need an incentive to stick to said vow, and nothing works better than feeling monitored.  So here goes.

No comments: