Saturday, May 9, 2009

Fun With Blueberries

Tomorrow is Mother's Day, but it's unlikely I'll have a chance to spend much time with my mom.  Yes it's true my parents live next door, but they're just so busy!  Anyway, we had a great time celebrating today instead.  I decided to turn my new pie making hobby into a Mother's Day gift/gesture of appreciation, and made my mom's favourite kind of pie:  blueberry.  I used a somewhat simplified version of this recipe for the filling (Martha recommends all sorts of time consuming steps involving freezing the pie before cooking it, but I only had a few hours).  For the crust, I used Martha's pate brisee recipe, which once again proved relatively simple to make and delicious to eat.  Here are some pictures.

Mmmmm...fresh blueberries!  I ate sooooooo many of these during the baking process.  

Assembling the pie...

Here it is basking in the sun, pre-bake.


Whipping up some cream...


The finished product.  The picture looks like crap because I had to use a flash, but at least the plate is pretty.


No comments: