Saturday, January 24, 2009

Review: Grand Torino

I went through a phase as a teenager where I watched about every Clint Eastwood movie available at our local Jumbo Video.  That's saying quite a bit too, as that Jumbo Video had by far the best selection of old movies I've ever seen (I was seriously disappointed when I moved away and discovered not all video stores are equipped with any movie you could ever want).  Unfortunately, the selection has gone dramatically downhill since DVDs took over, but I still have my memories.

Anyway, needless to say seeing Clint's new movie, Grand Torino, was an absolute must.  I actually saw it last weekend, but have been extremely preoccupied with various things this week and lacked the time and energy to do anything requiring extended concentration (yes, I know I'm lazy).  Despite my initial reluctance to write, however, I actually really enjoyed the movie.  It's very well done, and actually quite funny in parts.  Clint plays a curmudgeonly old man who doesn't take too kindly to the fact that his neighbourhood is being taken over by Asian immigrants.  His racism is diluted, though not eliminated, throughout the course of the movie, as he befriends Sue and Thao, his two young neighbours.  When the two youths become the target of a local gang, Clint takes it upon himself to show the punks who's boss.

True to the preview's claim, this movie is certainly "prime vintage Eastwood", featuring everything from Dirty Harry-esq attitude to Any Which Way But Loose-esq humour.  The film was undoubtedly written for Clint, and is driven almost entirely by the actor's image.  Perhaps this narrow focus is why it was overlooked for oscar nominations.  Whatever.  I think it's absolutely perfect the way it is.

No comments: