Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Favourite Movies of 2008.....

....in no particular order.

The Oscar nominations came out last week.  As I enjoy movies perhaps more than I enjoy anything else in life (well, you know, within reason), this yearly announcement is kind of a big deal for me.  Last year I learned that non-blockbuster movies ARE released in Kingston (months late and only if they are nominated for an oscar, but it's a start) and have been reveling this abundance of good movies over the past few weeks.  Of course, however, there is almost always a sizable discrepancy between my personal favourites and those movies nominated for best picture.  The latter category reads as follows:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

I have seen four of these movies (all but The Reader) and agree all are excellent films.  Here's my list, with commentary:

Vicky Christina Barcelona - I have a huge crush on Scarlett Johansson (have for some time).  I wouldn't go so far as to say that I like every movie she's in, nor would I say that she is the only reason I love this sultry, beautiful movie.  But she sure helps.

Grand Torino - See previous entry for review.

Frost/Nixon - You know, the one where Richard Nixon and Jack Frost team up to save Christmas?  (Ok I didn't come up with that.  But ten points for you if you know who did!).  Fantastic movie.  Come Oscar night I'll be rooting for either this one or.....

Milk - Another movie I have reviewed here.  I guess I'm really into recent history films this year.

Rachel Getting Married - Probably my favourite movie of the year all things considered.  I saw it again at the Screening Room and liked it even better the second time around.  It's such a cool, unique movie, and Anne Hatheway is superb.

No comments: