Thursday, April 22, 2010

Review: Fresh

It seems weird to be reviewing a restaurant I discovered years ago for the first time. Yet I feel as though I'm an entirely different person now than I was as a student, so in a way going to Fresh was like a whole new experience. Years ago, for instance, it never, ever would have occurred to me to notice that Fresh is about 99.9% vegan, with a wide variety of gluten free options. I simply loved the food. It turns out, I still do.

As the self-proclaimed world's worst vegan, I appreciate having the opportunity to go to a restaurant and have options other than the garden salad. Eating vegan, preferably gluten free food on a regular basis makes me about 1000 times healthier than I do otherwise. (I will spare you details of why.) Yet this kind of lifestyle conflicts with the whole concept of a social life, which is why I'm the world's worst vegan.

Anyhoo, back to Fresh. To start, we split the quinoa-battered onion rings with miso gravy. They were so crunchy and decadent, I could eat a whole plate of them on my own! 

For my main, I had the (baby) dragon bowl on brown basmati rice, which included grilled tomato, zucchini, and tofu steaks with sesame seeds, cilantro, and green onions. I'm one of those people who can't get enough cilantro. Seriously, you could put cilantro on a dust bunny and I would eat and enjoy it. The dragon also had miso gravy, which was excellent although it sort of felt like miso overload after having the same dressing with the onion rings!

(By the way, I'm sorry about the crap photo quality. My little point and shoot takes some getting used to after using the DSLR so much...which I refuse to pull out in a restaurant for obvious reasons.)

Steve had the veggie burger with sweet potato fries, which were also excellent. I greatly prefer sweet potato fries to regular fries, for both the flavour and texture.


All I can say is it's a good thing Fresh is so far away from our place, or I fear I'd be there way too frequently for my own good!!!

No comments: