Saturday, August 8, 2009

Grace Lorraine Pratt; November 24th, 1926 - August 5th, 2009


My Nan passed away on Wednesday - part of the reason I've been absent from the blog these past few days.  Grace was a strong, beautiful women who lived a full life.  Her passion was her family - five children, seven grandchildren, and six honorary children (the Guthries, children of her twin sister and best friend Lila).  Grace and Lila moved from Prince Edward Island to Ontario in the fifties, and lived next door to one another for many years.  Nan will return to PEI on Tuesday to rest beside her husband David.  I have many fond memories of Nan.  She lived beside my parents for most of my formative years, and I was very close to her.

In her later years, Grace suffered from Alzheimer's Disease.  She slipped away from us slowly, and we grieved for her on so many occasions that this final loss seems like a blessing.  

If Nan enjoyed any quality of life in her last few years, it was surely due to the devotion of my father, Don.  He and my mother, Ann, took care of Grace for a year and a half when she lived at home, and Don visited her religiously when she finally moved into a nursing home.  Both my parents willingly sacrificed much of their social and professional lives for nearly three years, and I would like to take this opportunity to publicly acknowledge their generosity.  

Nan was loved by many people.  She is an inspiration to me, and I strive to replicate her strength of character in my own life.

No comments: