Wednesday, December 24, 2008

New Title

Just so no one thinks I'm suffering from a similar blog title commitment anxiety to that displayed in my previous blog, I'd like to clarify that this new title, Loft-y Thoughts, reflects my new writing environment.  Today I was the recipient of a fabulous early Christmas present from my dear husband:  a desk of my very own!  Of course I had one as a student, but sold it when I moved to Kingston under the false presumption I would no longer have a use for it.  Instead, I found that when obligated to do mind-numbingly boring work all day long, all I ever feel like doing on evenings and weekends is school-like work (i.e. reading and writing, here and elsewhere).  These activities (particularly writing) are much more enjoyable when one has a desk, for as convenient as my laptop is, I'm generally not all that motivated to write when sitting on the couch in front of the TV.

Anyway, back to the title.  Our bedroom is best described as a loft.  It's basically a big room with a sloping ceiling that overlooks the living room downstairs.  When I came home from work today (a full 5 1/2 hours early!  Hooray!) Steve had positioned the desk next to the railing so I can have a view of the living room, big window, and skylight when writing.  Plus, it's an absolutely gorgeous desk: solid wood with a dark finish...a little small but hey, items purchased from Craig's List are rarely perfect.  And I'd rather have a used smallish desk of good quality than a brand new cheapy one for the same price. Oh what a wonderful, thoughtful husband I have.  (And now he cannot possibly be angry at me for going overboard on his gifts, as I'm pretty sure this puts him over the limit on mine!!!)

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: