Sunday, October 19, 2008

Is there anything better than good food?

My favorite "Kingston restaurant" isn't actually in Kingston, but a 45 minute drive away in the delightful little town of Picton.  Finally recovering from a week-long illness never fails to fill me with an elated, seize-the-day sort of relief, inspiring me to try and experience as much aesthetic pleasure as possible in a limited amount of time.  So even though the choice to go to Harvest for dinner last night was probably a bad one due to lack of funds, at the time it seemed like the best idea I'd ever conceived.  Ever the willing partner in crime, Steve happily agreed and off we went.

Oh it was wonderful.  After a minor glitch caused by our forgetting that the Glenora ferry runs every half hour at this time of the year (as opposed to every 15 minutes in the summer) and being half an hour late for our reservations as a result, the evening was absolutely perfect.  I love how every time I go to Harvest the menu has changed.  There's always the staple beef, chicken, fish, and pasta dishes, but they're altered to reflect what foods are in season.  Whenever possible, the restaurant tries to serve local food from Prince Edward County, a concept I absolutely adore.  Even the wine we had, Trumpour's Mill Pinot Noir, is from the area, and as far as I can tell it's just as good as any from France or California (although according to some people I have no palate for wine).  

To start we shared an appetizer consisting of goat cheese, beats,  and mixed greens.  I never liked beats growing up, but am amazed by how their taste is so dramatically improved when accompanied by goat cheese.  I like to pretend this isn't because the taste of the cheese so overwhelms that of the beats you forget what they are, but to be perfectly honest that probably does have something to do with it.  For the main course I went out on another limb and ordered duck..... medium rare!!!  I recently came to the conclusion that it makes no sense whatsoever to frequently eat cookie dough and eggs over easy, yet recoil in horror at the thought of undercooked poultry ("we don't want to invite Sam 'n Ella to the party....").  I was not surprised to find duck is greatly improved when not burned to a crisp.  Like steak, it is much more flavorful and easier to chew.  The duck came with a scrumptious rice and dried fruit medley that added a pleasing citrusy twist.  The best part of the meal, however, had to be the slice of pumpkin cheesecake Steve and I shared for dessert. It differed in texture from most cheesecakes, and reminded me more of pumpkin pie or creme brule with a hint of cream cheese.  The cake was drenched in a maple syrup sauce and little maple biscuits instead of crust.  I never wanted it to end.  Oh, and Harvest is one of the only restaurants in the Kingston area that makes real cappacinos.  I always forget about that until I order one and am pleasantly surprised when the waiter brings out espresso and foam (i.e. instead of espresso, a mug full of steamed milk, and a thin layer of foam on top).  

Truth be told, if I could live anywhere in the world I think it would be Prince Edward County, even if it would mean a 45-minute commute to Kingston.  Maybe I'm biased, but I think it's the most beautiful countryside I've ever seen.  I feel a bit guilty about last night, but overall I'd say it was totally worth a week of eating nothing but cereal, Kraft Dinner and chicken fingers :).

No comments: