Thursday, September 1, 2011

Back to school envy

EMC Editorial - The energy is everywhere this time of year - can you feel it? That unmistakable quality of back-to-school and the approaching fall is palpable no matter where you go - from the mall, where it hits you with the full force of a speeding mac truck whether you like it or not, to the peace and quiet of your back deck in the evening, where the intensity of the daytime's light and heat lingers less and less with each passing day.

For me, the only thing that will change the day after Labour Day is that I will increasingly dread doing anything outside for fear of being cold. For students of all ages, though, the end of August means the final few pages of one very distinct chapter of their lives, and the onset of a new one.

I recall that time fondly. Summer would float on by like a heavenly dream full of bike rides, days spent lounging by the pool and weekend trips to Sandbanks. All the same, by mid-August I was usually ready to get back to the books.

The shopping aspect of back-to-school always helped to fuel this desire. Every year around this time, my mom and I would head up to Toronto to shop. I would pick out new clothes and shoes, as well as crisp packages of lined paper and snappy new binders to put it in - all colour coordinated by subject, so full of potential.

As a self-identified nerd, I enjoyed school for the less popular reasons as well. Back then, I could still believe that beautiful myth perpetuated by parents and teachers everywhere that academic success would lead to success in the "real world." To me, this was fantastic news, as I was always one of those kids who considerably lacked in extra-curricular talents.

The best part was that the older I got, the better school became. High school was infinitely better than elementary school, and by the time I got to university it all just seemed too good to be true. I studied English literature, which meant that my days were spent doing either my favourite thing in the world: reading, or my second favourite: writing about what I had read.

To all you students out there, I say make the most of back-to-school while you still can. I understand that some of you are probably dreading the end of summer, but know that the time you spend in school is proportionally very small compared to the time you spend working. Unless you get lucky, as I did, and find yourself in a job you enjoy, chances are you'll long to transport yourself back to your school days once they are gone forever. Never again will you be given the opportunity to devote yourself full time to learning. It's a gift, really.

Also, while I'm on this advice-giving streak, please hear to this: pay attention in French class. I understand firsthand that bilingualism seems completely and utterly unnecessary when you're growing up here in Kingston, but in actuality it's one of the most vital skills you can have in this country. You'll come to this grim realization when you try to get one of those cushy, coveted government jobs 10 years down the road.

Finally, to those currently in your last years of high school, trying to decide what you will study post-secondary: for the love of god, choose something you enjoy, not whatever your parents think would be the most practical or prestigious. Trust me, you won't regret it.

No comments: