Friday, November 28, 2008

Why I Love Half Nelson

I really, really wanted to see the movie Australia tonight, and write a review of it here afterward.  Unfortunately, due to forces beyond my control, I did not get to see it (would you believe the last showing of the night was at 8:15pm???  That must be one loooooong movie).  Instead, I find myself sitting at home drinking a glass of wine and watching Half Nelson, a film that, in my opinion, has got to be the most underrated movie ever.  Seriously, no one ever talks about it, but it is quite possibly my third favourite movie ever (after The Godfather, Almost Famous, and maybe when I'm in certain moods The Wizard of Oz and/or The Squid and the Whale - another really underrated movie).

When I first saw Half Nelson I really didn't know what to make of it.  I knew that I liked it, but it's such an odd premise - a teacher who's addicted to crack?  The movie doesn't really have a plot per say...it just sort if...is.  Dan Dunne, Ryan Gosling's character, is a drug addict middle school history teacher in a very low-income neighbourhood.  All his students are poor and Black and/or Latino, yet are in much better shape than he.  The movie is about Mr Dunne's friendship with Dre, a thirteen year old student to whom he attempts to be a mentor of sorts.  Yet Dre is also friendly with the neighbourhood drug dealer, who does not offer her drugs but a job delivering them to his clients (including Mr Dunne).  As a white male teacher from a middle class background, Mr Dunne is superficially "the man", representative of the authoritative forces that oppress minorities.  Yet ironically it is he who suffers from what poverty breeds.

It sounds a little cheesy, I know, but you really should watch it.  Ryan Gosling is truly an amazing actor - maybe even the best of our generation.  And I L-O-V-E the Broken Social Scene soundtrack.  You Forget it In People is one of my favourite albums of all time.  Every time I watch Half Nelson I like it more.  It's so subtle and elusive.  In novels, these qualities can sometimes get on my nerves, but never in well done movies.  Sometimes the general feeling a film produces is worth so much more than an engaging plot. 

No comments: